Pyrenees driving - what are the rules...?

Todo sobre Land Rover y el 4x4 en general

Notapor JF Lux » 31 Oct 2011, 09:37

Hopefully someone can help me with some more information.

During our Pyrenees trip last week our group did get stopped (once) by the Police on part of the route climbing into Andorra via Civis.

Group 1 was 4 vehicles and spread out with +/-20 meters between vehicles.
Group 2 was 3 vehicles and was about 30 minutes behind.
The lead vehicle in Group 1 was questioned by the patrol vehicle but we could quickly continue.
Group 2 had a more difficult conversation. One policeman maybe wanted to continue the interview at the police station; the one that spoke English was happy to let the group continue for that day after giving some advice.

When I put the trip together I did try and research the rules. My understanding was:

Organised groups and/or groups bigger than 4 vehicles must have permission including a paper in the window.
Private groups (like us) can only be 4 vehicles maximum and there must be 30 minutes between the next group of vehicles.

My understanding of "organised" is a group that is commercial - i.e. a company that officially organises and accepts payment for guiding vehicles.

We were driving as private people but together in a group. There is no commercial part of the trip (But we were all in D3's with disco3club stickers on...)

The police said that we were an organised group and must therefore have permission from each and every mayor of every area we pass through; must display this permission; and must present our vehicles to each and every mayor for inspection...

I did not find this when I was researching the rules for our trip.

So...does anyone have a clear understanding of the rules...? Or is it a case of "it depends"...?

Thanks.
JF Lux

Notapor Nash » 31 Oct 2011, 10:13

The policeman is right. it's a case on "it depends"....

You are a group of friends but you "look like" and organised group. We will have probably the same problem.
Also your cars are a bit "prepared" with lots of accessories and stikers....and this is worst thanif you travel with a more "road-looking-D3" with the family.

In those cases....the Leader has to be a polite personne whith charm.... and try to convince...... And, in theorie, you have to drive in 4m width roads.....

The "legal way" is to ask for permits with time in the appropiate places....than always is difficult to know and requieres knowing the appropiate person.....

:ok:
Discovery3 TDV6 HSE, Zambezzi
Blog: Mi LRD3
Flickr: LRNash
Nash
Administrador

Notapor JF Lux » 31 Oct 2011, 10:57

Thanks Nash.

That info helps to clarify, especially for when we want to go back.

i also think the time of year helped as well. If it was August I think it would have been more difficult.
JF Lux

Notapor Nash » 31 Oct 2011, 16:02

You are absolutely right. In summer time, long weekends, eastern and christmas.....this would be more difficult. :roll:
Discovery3 TDV6 HSE, Zambezzi
Blog: Mi LRD3
Flickr: LRNash
Nash
Administrador

Notapor marco110 » 31 Oct 2011, 16:18

:hola:
I did this trip last year in August!
No problem, few people on the "tracks"!
The information that I had, was that we should not be more than three cars!
:hola:
JF: I saw the pictures of "Bodsy" on Disco3.CO.UK!
nice! :ok:
marco110

Tema: Pyrenees driving - what are the rules...?

Volver a General